Sunday, March 19, 2017

Postcard Advertisement


Welcome Back!
The most important part of having a film festival postcard in the first place is contact information. Contact as in the time and place of the showing, the filmmakers, everything from A-Z. So the first order of business is to have contact info-- the question is how. Add an email? A website link? Haven't we come farther than laboriously typing in a link? I think the best option is a QR code, even if it's ugly I think in this case we have to trade beauty for practicality and convergence. What about showtime? Usually at a film festival show times and venues are shuffled around a lot so it would be impractical to print an entire batch of cards with the same showtime on it just for it to change the day before the event. I think what it more efficient and practical is printing off a sticker. We can easily change/reprint the sticker. If we make the design simple enough we can have so premium blank space to place the sticker. Of course, we would also include the key art, title, tagline on the front and more art, synopsis, and festival laurels. We would hand out the postcards to crowds flooding into the festival but also have them stocked at lobby tables ensuring maximum "dispersion."

As far as the actual design goes I would love to stick to a grayscale color scheme, have some actor names, some favorable review quotes, and all of the other aforementioned aspects. As far as "key art" goes I would like to include something like an outline or silhouette of the main character sitting on a couch with a laptop from a side view. I think I'll take a couple of stills with my main actor so I can go back in and photoshop it for the front side of my film card.  I'll include the tagline and title on the front and the contact info and quotes, laurels, etc. on the back. I would also like to include an additional peel-off sticker for people to put on their MacBooks etc. We'll see about this but people love the tactile experience and it is a great way to converge and market the film just a little further, plus, there could be another QR code under the sticker with a link to exclusive outtakes/content.  I'll post a full mock-up after my storyboard, but the postcard is definitely a cool aspect.

http://douglashorn.com/wordpress/filmmaking/promoting-your-film%E2%80%94and-yourself%E2%80%94at-film-festivals-tips-you-only-learn-after-your-20th-film-festival/

No comments:

Post a Comment