Sunday, March 26, 2017

Music Considerations

Music can take a film and make it more than the sum of its parts. This is important. there are twoTmain considerations here: "suspense" music for climactic moments and "time passing" music to help engage viewers while the main character is essentially walking around being bored and drunk. A psychological thriller short film I had the pleasure to watch a few months back called Drink had an original score so I went back and gave it a listen and I really like the soundtracks (the short film can be found here). I'm making a concerted effort not to include any mainstream music or anything with lyrics. Including music here is all about conveying emotion so the emotional beats of mainstream music are not going to match the emotional beats of my main character I could always retime my images to match the music but that would be a music video.

During the "tech disappearing scene" I need to find a suspenseful song or loop that can mirror "oops something is wrong here" the best example I found of this was in Jaws in the opening scene. When "Chrissie" and her male companion are running toward the beach, there isn't a soundtrack playing. All is well-or so we think. It isn't until we see a fish eye view of Chrissie swimming and we begin to hear some eerie music, which causes us to feel a little uneasy. Now we know something is wrong. We don't see anything that looks dangerous, but the music tells you that, yep, this girl is in trouble. I'm looking for this type fo cue for the tech scene and I think music is going to be overly important here. Despite the scene being well-acted, the emotional music cue is key.

For time passing I want to go with a more classic or "silence filler" vibe. No matter how bad the Twilight movies may be, I really like this "time passing" example from Twilight: New Moon. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gEFZ0TJ8o
I really enjoy it because it not only helps to convey
Bella's emotions but to avoid making the audience bored or uncomfortable with the scene being presented.

I'll update with more specific music and editing choices soon :)


http://www.filmunderground.com/358/Article/NWFS/Music-and-the-Short-Film.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment