Thursday, April 6, 2017

Short Film Website Design

So I'm not well-versed in Short Film website design so I found a site of an Oscar-Nominated short.
This short, timecode, has a very encompassing and thorough website that I think is a good starting point for the structure of mine.

The tabs include "About, Trailer, Festivals/Screenings, Awards, Press, Multimedia, and Around the World" each pages is backed by slowly changing stills from the film (very cool idea). The layout is minimal and clean, something that I think is appropriate for my website, however, I would go with a very white and in general "less dark" color scheme to match my mise-en-scene. I would most likely skip out on the "Awards" and "Trailers" tab as my short film has neither. I think it would be cool to take the time to make up some fake screening dates that converge with my postcard. By providing a QR code on the card, their phone will take them to the website where they can see up-to-date and accurate screening locations and times. I really enjoyed that they had an interactive map for these This context would suggest an "R" rating form my film. In general I think the most technically difficult task will be creating a logo (or font) for the film that Timecode used in their site.
locations under "Around the World," this makes the website more engaging and convienient for those searching for show times.  This site included their poster under "Multimedia" but I would probably include a digital version of my festival postcard for individuals who are viewing the silk details solely online. Their homepage includes contact details, a synopsis, cast, crew, technical specifications and acknowledgements all of which I will include in my website. One interesting aspect I hdn't thought about was their inclusion of a rating on their homepage. I may include this on mine as well as on my post card in order to inform viewers of the "violence" and alcohol consumption in the film.

One last thing I would like to include is an option to join a mailing list. While, admittedly, it may be ignored by many in fear of spam, I don't think it would hurt to include if it were done aesthetically. By creating a fan base or at least a pool of interested people through this email feature, word abut the film can spread more easily.

Sources:

http://www.timecodeshortfilm.com/news/
http://www.filmmakingstuff.com/how-to-create-a-filmmaker-website/
http://m.filmratings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment